Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fall Food: Brown Butter and Sage Sauce


You could enjoy this brown butter and sage sauce any time of year, but the earthy, herby nuttiness is so perfect for right now. I paired it with sweet potato gnocchi, but I think pretty much any pasta will be made better by it.

Brown Butter and Sage Sauce
Recipe adapted from Mario Batali

2 tablespoons butter
4 sage leaves, cut into thin, short strips
1/4 cup parmesan, grated or in large curls

While your pasta cooks, melt butter in a large saute pan and continue cooking until golden brown color appears. Add sage leaves and remove from heat. Drain the pasta but save some cooking water. Add pasta to the saute pan with about a 1/4 cup of pasta water and toss to coat pasta. Plate and top with parmesan cheese. Makes 2 servings.

8 comments:

  1. gosh I love this combination. it's so simple. in college when I felt I needed a carb-loaded meal i'd go for kraft mac-n-cheese. now I go for this... seriously who can resist brown butter and sage? i'd even top it with deep-fried sage like they put on all the fish at the fish place in Eataly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This look delicious and so comforting on cold days. I'm adding this to my recipe book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This is something I would love. Adding this to my "to eat" list. lol. And simple....just my kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love brown butter and sage! I did this with pumpkin ravioli once, great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely making this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did a sauce like this with butternut squash ravioli recently. So easy but so delicious! Where did you get sweet potato gnocchi? That sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grocery store in Queens had it. Butternut squash ravioli sounds equally perfect!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips