Friday, June 4, 2010

Bowl of Noodles


I have a college-rooted nostalgia for ramen noodles, but this is a grownup and totally acceptable way to eat them. I mean, if it's good enough for Alton, it's good enough for me. Simple, tasty, and pre-portioned with your protein, veggies, and carbs ready to be slurped up.

Ramen Shrimp Pouch
Recipe courtesy of Food Network and Alton Brown

2 packages Ramen noodles
1/2 cup dried mushrooms, chopped
20 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup sliced scallions
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 quart vegetable broth
1/2 cup mirin
1/4 cup soy sauce
4 teaspoons sesame oil
Special equipment: 4 (18-inch) squares aluminum foil

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Divide ramen noodles evenly in center of each of the 4 pieces of aluminum foil. Stack the following ingredients on top of noodles, in this order: mushrooms, shrimp, onions, scallions, red pepper flakes, and salt. Pull sides and corners of pouch up to form a small basket shape leaving an opening at the top to pour in liquid.

In small bowl, combine vegetable broth, mirin, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Distribute liquid evenly among packs. Press foil together, leaving a small opening to allow steam to escape. Place on cookie sheet and bake in oven for 15 minutes. Serve immediately. Serves four.

16 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious! Ramen is also the BEST hangover cure, which comes in handy now that I'm not in college and have apparently developed a super low tolerance for alcohol. I will have to try this variation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my this sounds incredible. I love noodles ... last night I had the best chilled noodle salad with a sesame ginger dressing. Sending you a sweet hug! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Confession: I love Ramen. This looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the super sweet feel better wishes!!

    ..and YUM, that look delicious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had ramen since college..this makes it much more "adult"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I copied the recipe & I'm on it! Sounds delicious & is easy
    (my favorite)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM this looks great!!! I love all kinds of noodles, ramen is the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My fiance would absolutely love this!
    PS-I am having a giveaway on my blog that you might like. Head on over to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I remember right, you had sort of a freezer popcorn shrimp thing happening in college. So this seems like the grown up combo of the two. Add a carton of Ben and Jerry's and a few hundred mice and it'll be just like old times.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks delicious! I will always love ramen. There are so many ways to make it more grown-up, and even.. dare I say.. healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ramen is art : remember ramen girl http://www.imdb.com/video/
    screenplay/vi709821209/

    ReplyDelete
  12. yum. we're never too old for ramen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. mmm YUM!
    i love dressing up ramen noodles!! so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I use ramen noodles in everything, it drives my family crazy! but they just go with everything, they are too perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks amazing!! I think I might have to try it for dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips