Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chocolate for Breakfast


When I was a kid, we would occasionally buy those variety packs of muffins from Sam's Club. They came with blueberry, banana nut, and chocolate, which is what I always went for, even if it was 7 a.m. They were essentially un-iced cupcakes, and I loved them. Eating chocolate for breakfast was the best thing in the world.

These little babies give me the same sense of breakfast rule rebellion, but they seem a little more acceptable. I mean, they do have zucchini in them.

By the way, thanks for all the sweet anniversary wishes yesterday. Y'all are the best!


Chocolate-Zucchini Cakes with Walnuts
Recipe from Everyday Food

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup finely grated zucchini
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup (3 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped or chocolate chips
nonstick cooking spray
24 walnut halves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together butter, sugar, salt, and egg until combined. Add vanilla, zucchini, and sour cream and stir until incorporated. Sift flour and cocoa powder into bowl and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate. Spray mini muffin pans with cooking spray. Fill each cup with 2 tablespoons batter and top with a walnut. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes. Let muffins cool slightly in pans on wire racks before serving. Makes 24.

12 comments:

  1. I have been looking for a zucchini recipe and I think I have found my winner! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious! And I totally know what muffins you are talking about - those were the ultimate breakfast for me when I was a kid....I loved the chocolate chip ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that there is zucchini in it makes them healthy therefore they are totally acceptable for breakfast!! Hmmm..I'm hungry now, i wish I had one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum!! I'm totally referencing this recipe later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh these look and sound delish! I have always wanted to try incorporating zucchini into my baking - and now I have the perfect recipe! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I think you must be superwoman! I don't know how you manage to do all you do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally remember those variety muffin packs you're talking about!! My fave was always chocolate, I can't believe how many of those I've eaten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like everybody was raised by Sam's Mommas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these look to die for!!! and that mug is adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! These look great. And the zucchini makes you feel better about it. I know exactly what you mean about chocolate for breakfast - I think I had a giant chocolate chip muffin and a chocolate milk everyday for years! xxSAS

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great!! I have never made a baked good with zucchini. I've had zuchinni bread before though and it's good. I want to try this one.
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips